Thursday, June 18, 2009

School Uniforms

True, I may be out of primary, middle and high school, but I still have a fairly strong opinion considering this subject. I must have been one of the few (really, it was only three of us or so) who voted yes on getting school uniforms when I was in middle school and high school.

Uniforms... why do so many people hate the idea of them in schools?

They do NOT completely rob you of your identity, you alone allow that to happen. They level the playing field, so to speak, when it comes to "Fashion". They can, in fact, be very cute. They also help stamp out the issues with 'inappropriate' clothing. I'm talking thongs sticking out of a middle schooler's pants and cuss words and sexual innuendos spread out over shirts.

You're afraid that a uniform will make you blend in too much with a crowd? There are other ways to stand out. Uniforms are a tool that starts to force you to, gasp, start trying to develop a personality to stand out. And if that's still too hard for you to handle, kiddies, then hey, you can do something else to stand out. Buttons on bookbags, and the like, blah, blah blah.

In my school, we had the very well off, and the opposite end of the spectrum. It wasn't talked about, but more often than not, those who were richer than others used clothing as a sort of target. You had bad clothes, you were liable to get picked on.

And for godess sake, I am sick of seeing shit on kid's clothing that parent's just let them wander out of the house in, and I am INCREDIBLY sick of seeing people's asscracks and underwear. Boys, pull up your pants.

Now let me make this clear. I may support uniforms but that does not mean I support uniformity. By all means, be different! Stand out! But don't use your clothes as a crutch. Developing a personality will go a lot further than wearing the latest style by Dolce&Gabbana.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd like to see uniforms here, actually. I never really thought about it before that much, but I agree with your opinion of ways to stand out other than clothing. As an anime fan, I wouldn't mind seeing all the girls in school in skirts, though if schools here would get them, they'd probably be skirtless and dull colors.
    Still, I like the idea of seeing everyone in school with uniforms, but still be who they are with accessories.

    ReplyDelete