Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grow Big and Strong| Soulmate Bashing

Ah, soul mates. The idea that there is one single person out there cosmically designed to fit you. A Prince (or Princess if you'd prefer) Charming that will only come along once, and hell, if you screw up, then you're done for. Earlier today I was reading an article in Cosmo's July09 issue about "soul mates". Luckily it shared my ideas on the subject and made me want to explore the topic further.

Listen up, all you guys and gals out there. You don't have to go crazy holding out for "The One". I've been unlucky enough to believe this myself at one point, and I've seen my friends holding back from getting out there because of it as well. I had one friend in my first high school who flat out declined a good catch because he had brown hair. Hair color is not a reason to pass up a good experience.

Let me reassure you. It is possible to fall in love, even deeply so, more than once, hell an infinite number of times in your life.

My recently adopted philosophy is simple: Experience many loves (romantic or otherwise), and let it help you grow.

Yes, at times you will get hurt, and experience great loss and pain for putting yourself out there, but in the end, isn't it worth it? It helps you become a more experienced and (usually) better person. You learn from every experience you have, so let yourself do just that. Don't waste your time wondering "Is he/she really the one? Should I bother?" Take a leap of faith. Smell the freaking roses.

Of course I'm not saying go out with every chick or dick that walks by. You need to be open, but dear gods, have some common sense. If you feel something, any kind of a good connection, then sure, go for it! But if you're thinking they may have recently committed a crime, better find an experience somewhere else.

I myself have to learn to live by this, so believe me, I know that it's difficult, but I hold strong to this and plan to start getting out there myself. Let's all have some great experiences!

Learning is the best part of life, after all.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. I don't believe in soulmates either. Destiny lovers is a silly and unrealistic term. There are a lot of people any one of us could end up with. It's nothing predetermined. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, I'll to make this sound as proper as I can with my English ._.

    Personally, I don't beleive in a single person you fit with either, even though I have no experience with it myself. Of course, I've seen some girls I like and the one I currently have my eyes on my very well turn out to be my soul mate after all. But hey, who knows. Only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete